Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What's In The Bag?

Once upon a time, I came across a post on the interwebs that suggested using Petunia Pickle Bottom's Powder Room Cases for diaper bag organization. It seemed like a genius idea since I can remember more than one stressful parenting situation made even more stressful by a black hole of a diaper bag. So when I bought my PPB Sashay Satchel, I grabbed a few PRC's and figured I'd see where my OCD would take me.


This is what my set-up looks like for a two year old and a two month old (both in cloth diapers):

PRC #1: Health and Beauty Items (Boogie Wipes, tissues, cough drops, sunscreen, lotion, etc.)

PRC #2: Toddler Entertainment (stickers, coloring book, Play-doh, fake camera and phone, etc.)

PRC #3: Snacks (fruit strips, raisins, Larabars, KIND bars, etc.)

Here's how the whole thing comes together:

In the very bottom of my diaper bag, I put the things that I (God willing) don't need very often. I have two disposable diapers for each kiddo, a sleep n play for Rowan, a change of pants for Niamh.
On top of that bottom layer, I put the three PRC's in vertically so I can easily identify and grab the one I need. This leaves just enough space for a fourth PRC (you could have a diaper PRC if you use disposables), but I use that space for a wet bag and a couple cloth diapers. I know that conventional wisdom says to pack a diaper for every hour that you'll be out, plus a few extras just in case. But let's be real here, if either one of my kids is pooping at that rate, I don't want to be out in public. Plus, I always keep a stocked changing station in my car, so I don't feel the need to pack everything I own in a diaper bag *just in case*.

The Sashay Satchel has a magazine pocket in the front that I use as my "mommy pocket" with wallet, cell phone, etc. The back magazine pocket holds the straps that convert the bag to a backpack along with my nursing cover and a burp cloth. Inside, there are two pockets that hold a changing pad and wipes as well as a zippered pocket that holds some random things that I might want to access easily/quickly like a pack of Wet Ones and some Honest Co. spray hand sanitizer. I'm generally not big on hand sanitizer but no Ebola here, thanks.


That's it, folks. I don't carry much because we usually aren't away from home for more than a few hours since Niamh is still napping everyday. In the future, if we do all-day trips, I will transition to my old Ju Ju Be Be Prepared diaper bag with the same PRC's and just add a small cooler, more diapers, or whatever else we need for the day.

Do you have any diaper bag tips and tricks?? Comment below to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment