Monday, June 16, 2014

Bumbleride Indie Review

Ok, so let's start with the fact that Bumbleride is an American company started by real-life parents who wanted to find solutions to their stroller woes. Love that. I firmly believe that every dollar we as consumers spend is a vote in favor of businesses, people, and philosophies that we want to see succeed.

I actually purchased this stroller from a friend who was expecting twins. I was in a place where getting to the gym with (a very mobile!) Niamh was just not a feasible option any longer and I needed a jogging stroller. Of course, I initially thought I'd go with a BOB Revolution because I had seen them everywhere and it just seemed like a natural solution. However, when an opportunity came up to try the Bumbleride, I jumped on it.

The most noticeable thing about this stroller is the weight: 20 lbs. is amazingly light! With a fairly compact fold and a manual lock, this thing is an absolute breeze to throw in any car. It also features an almost flat recline. Niamh has napped in this stroller many times and I've even utilized the deep recline to change diapers in a pinch!

The maneuverability is a dream as well. Given that everything is bigger in Texas, I typically don't run into many scenarios where my stroller size is really put to the test. We traveled to Chicago to visit family last fall and the Bumbleride worked well is every scenario: train/subway rides, elevators, restaurants, shopping, etc. The air-filled tires were a breeze hopping over curbs and sidewalks.

I have also been pleasantly surprised with several of the other features: large canopy with peek-a-boo window, large cargo basket, easy folding mechanism that folds the seat on itself to keep clean, zip-off canopy hood for increased air flow, adjustable footrest, and adjustable handlebar to accommodate parents of different heights. The Snack Pack accessory is a nice option for older kids who want to eat on-the-go, but a traditional tray might be more functional. Niamh had a tendency to pull on the velcro tabs that keep it stationary and flip it upside down. It also has to be removed to fold the stroller, which isn't a deal breaker, but still kinda annoying.

The only thing I haven't been thrilled with about this stroller is the ride when jogging. Let's be honest, I'm not training for a marathon or breaking any land speed records, but this stroller had an intermittent vibration in the frame that drove me up the wall. The front wheel locks for jogging, but I found that it had a tendency to track to the left. That, in conjunction with the "death wobble" was enough for me to call Bumbleride customer service. My experience was pleasant and they gave me instructions on how to run a couple tests to check for a bent frame. Since I was pregnant with baby #2 at this point and rarely jogging anyway, I did not disassemble the stroller to run the tests. I noticed that a simple Google search revealed quite a few people posting about this vibration when running, although many people raved about Bumbleride's customer service and willingness to replace frames or even entire strollers to keep their customers happy. Based on my initial experience with the company, I can absolutely see them working hard to rectify any problem with their products, which is very reassuring when you're investing in a high-end luxury stroller.

I just sold this stroller last week and was very sad to see it go. The quality of the stroller, especially the fabric and finish, were far superior to the BOB that I tested. I'm not sure yet if I'll end up with a double jogger down the road, but the Indie Twin is already on my short-list, despite the "wobble" issue I had with my single. 


No comments:

Post a Comment