Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Chicco NextFit

I promised this review eons ago, but I'm just now getting around to it! The Smith family has had a TON going on in the last few months and it's only beginning...we're expecting baby #2 this July so we're preparing ourselves for the craziness that will be two under two!

Because Niamh was soooooo long, she outgrew her infant carrier well before she hit her first birthday (Chicco KeyFit 30). I knew the arrival of the Chicco NextFit had been much-anticipated within the industry and I really enjoyed the ease of installation and quality of our KeyFit 30. When I spied one at Target during a 20% off Chicco sale, I snagged the NextFit and immediately installed it in my Volkswagen Jetta SportWagon.



First things first: the fabric on the NextFit feels almost like workout wear; not too hot for our Houston climate and like it would wick away moisture pretty well. I really preferred the feel of the NextFit fabric over the velour-like material found on many other convertible car seats. The NextFit has a very long life-span as well. It comes with an insert to use with babies from 5-11 lbs. should you choose to bypass the infant carrier. The rear-facing weight limit is 40 lbs. to keep your child in the safest position for as long as you both are comfortable (there is no height limit other than ensuring your child's head is at least one inch below the top of the headrest when fully extended). The forward-facing limits are  65 lbs. and 50 inches.

When I installed this car seat, it was just as fast and easy as my KeyFit! The combination of the 9-position ReclineSure and bubble level indicators make it a cinch to know that your seat is installed at the appropriate angle. Speaking of cinch, the latch connectors feature an exclusive force-multiplying strap system that get your car seat installed as securely as possible without having to practically climb into the seat yourself while pulling with all your might. Snap your latch connectors into place, pull the strap labeled "Pull 1st" then pull on the Super Cinch strap 2nd to get things tight and secure with minimal effort.

I have installed this car seat in various vehicles using both latch and a regular seat belt installation and have never had a problem. The seat also fits as well as any other seat that I tried in the rather small backseat in my Volkswagen. I recently purchased a Nissan Armada in anticipation of baby #2 and having two rear-facing car seats as well as a double stroller and the NextFit fits with plenty of room leftover. I have yet to use it in forward-facing mode, but the latch slide path makes it a breeze to convert.


Niamh clearly loves her seat and seems comfortable whether she's awake or asleep. I've been so happy with it, I bought a second NextFit for my husband's car as well. The NextFit retails for $279.99, but there is no good reason to pay full price when you can get it 20% off ($223.99 plus tax!) with a Chicco sale or a BuyBuyBaby coupon.

**Update: There is a new Chicco NextFit model on the market with a zip-off fabric liner. Check it out here.

6 comments:

  1. I knew the arrival of the Chicco NextFit had been much-anticipated within the industry and I really enjoyed the ease of installation and quality of ... chicconextfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mat under the the seat should be removed, unfortunately CHICCO forbids anything under thier seats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mat under the the seat should be removed, unfortunately CHICCO forbids anything under thier seats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. easy to use car seats

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information..
    Best Bow Sight

    ReplyDelete